Thank you for stopping by!

We have everything here

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Making Papi Happy

Papi has always been a lover of this dessert.  Whether you call it rice pudding, arroz con leche, or SWEET RICE, it makes my Cubi happy to eat it.

My grandmother shared this recipe with me specifically so that I'd do something to please my husband.  YES, you all can take that however you'd like.  I for one was offended at first but I make it anyway because it does make my Cubi happy. 


OK, just so you know, I'm still offended at grandmas undertones to her comment and I probably won't get over it any time soon.
This is time consuming but the finished dessert is so yummy.

Sweet Rice
Makes 12 servings
6 cups milk
1 cinnamon stick
3/4 cup long grain white rice
3/4 cup Sugar
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 cup Heavy whipping cream
3 egg yolks, beaten
2 teaspoons vanilla extract


Step 1}  Rinse the inside of your pan with cold water.  I use a pressure cooker for ease of cleaning once your dessert is finished.

Step 2}  Combine your 6 cups of milk and a cinnamon stick.  Bring to a boil.  You could also use a vanilla bean that you split, in place of the cinnamon stick.  I actually prefer that but didn't have one this go-round.

 
Step 3}  While your milk comes to a boil, combine the next 6 ingredients, after the rice in the list above, into a large bowl. Then set aside. 

I forgot  a picture when I added the vanilla extract, sorry!

Step 4}  Wash your rice.  I used the dirty measuring cup to wash my rice.  If I were lucky enough to have someone clean up after me, I'd be using a separate holder for each ingredient I use.  But some of us live in a world where we have to clean up after ourselves, so don't hate.


Step 5}  Once your milk and cinnamon stick come to a boil, add your clean rice, reduce heat to medium and return to a boil. 


Step 6}  When your pot begins to boil, simmer for 55 minutes until rice is good and tender.


Step 7}  When your time is up, remove the cinnamon stick.  You have to add the bowl of everything else to the hot pot now.  In order to keep the egg yolk from cooking you need to temper the mixture by adding a spoonful from the hot pot to your bowl, mix and repeat, about 5 times until the bowl is brought to a similar temperature.  Then you can pour the whole bowl into your hot pot.

Sorry I forgot to take a pic of my tempering process but I hope you get the idea.  You can ask questions in the comments if you have them.

Step 8}  Once everything is combined on the stove, return the pot to a boil.  This will cook the egg and make everything nice a creamy incorporated.

Step 9}  I divide the dessert into serving size containers to make it easier for the kids, Papi to have a snack easier than serving their own.


Do you have any variations that you've found successful?  Papi claims he has a much faster way of preparing the sweet treat but I kind of like the slow going of this.  I feel it makes it that much more enjoyable.

Thanks for visiting.  Follow me via Google Reader or Linky Followers.  THAT will make Mommy happy!
Mommy Sauri~



 

No comments:

Post a Comment